Monday, January 18, 2010

Olmos.... AKA Heaven!

Alright, now that things have calmed down a smidge I can explain to yal how my new area is! Olmos is just outside of La Plata, which is the capital of the province of Buenos Aires, but it´s NOTHING like the city. Everything is campo, villa, or almost villa. (uhh... country, ghetto, or almost ghetto). But I am seriously IN LOVE! Our members are amazing here too.... they´re WAY excited to have Hermanas, so EVERY day we eat with members, and every day they give us lots of references! I love it! We´re already seeing tons of progress in the area. Before, because it was so far away, the Elders almost NEVER came to this area, so it´s basically completely new. Everyone is SOOO nice here too. It´s not like the city where everyone has money and lives in houses with big fences in front and intercom´s you have to talk into. Rather, everyone´s always chillin outside drinking mate, and LOVE talking to you, even if they have no interest in the church. It´s so amazing!
SOO.... I have some sweet updates from Banfield too!! DO you remember Raul, the bald guy who got baptised in November, who´s the best member ever??? WELL.... before I left he started passing the sacrament and gave the prayer in church, and would come to citas we had. Well... this week he´s going to receive the Melchizadek Priesthood, and he´s giving a talk in church, and in 3 weeks he´s going to be the one who baptizes Ariel!!! (my other favorite.... the guy from Noche de Luz). I am SOOOO happy.... you have no idea! It is amazing to see the changes the gospel brings to people´s lives. If ever single person I meet from now on slams the door in my face, it wouldn´t even matter, because now I understand why I´m here on a mission and why this work is so important.
It´s true what Elder Brent H. Nielson said in conference, that " the is no greater work, there is no greater call than teaching ´all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." And that doesn´t mean just being full-time missionaries. Every single person has the same opportunity and responsibility to share the gospel, whether it be with their family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, whoever! By doing so we give the best service we can offer to those around us, because there truly is nothing that will bring more happiness in this world than having the gospel in our lives. I love the poem quoted in Pres. Monson´s talk in October:
I have wept in the night
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody´s need made me blind;
But I never have yet
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind.
As the wife of a prophet once said, we should never surpress a kind thought. So please, take full advantage of the calling we all have to share the gospel. By doing so we can show those around us that we truly love them.
I love you all! Have a wonderful week, and keep smiling!
xo, Hermana Devee

2 comments:

  1. mi amiga Hna Sonrisas es espectacular,acabo de terminar de hablr con ella por telefono de taaaaaaaaaantas cosas,pero la culpa es mia,yo la pervierto,jaja.
    Extraño a la Churchill!!!solo me queda esperar 3 traslados y medio para volver a tenerla cerca :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.megavideo.com/?v=7N7HDQ89

    tienen q ver a Hna Churchill en accion!!!Ella es espectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete